There is one HUGE mistake that all newbies make and that anyone can make if they’re not careful. In fact, I have to catch myself everyday, so that I don’t make this mistake over and over again.
Can you guess what it is yet?
Well, I’ll give you a hint. You’ve decided to plunge into Affiliate Marketing. Well, isn’t this what this blog is about? That’s a good decision.
So, first you check your email. You start to read about all of the wonderful offers of the day! Wow! You can’t pass some of them up, so you sign up for their affiliate programs. And some offer freebies, so you download them. Now you start to read them. You answer some emails, read some jokes from friends and whammo…2 hours have gone by.
You pat yourself on the back and think that you’ve worked for 2 hours…But guess what…You’ve made no money that day. Why? You’ve been at the computer for 2 hours!
The answer is simple. You need a Time Management Plan and you have to follow it.
So this is my time management plan and hopefully it might give you some insights.
1. I decide how much time I have in a day to spend on this business. If it’s 2 hours a day, I don’t give myself 5 hours of work to do. This is why you must set priorities and goals. Decide what you want to accomplish long term and short term.
2. I have a general list of goals, but I pick the most urgent ones and make a “to do” list for that day. I check off what I’ve accomplished. I really try to do this everyday.
3. Emails can be a big time eater. I answer my own emails to my list and will continue to do this as long as I can. I feel that it’s important. I’ve been taught by the gurus NOT to do this though and to hire a help desk.
4. I set aside time each day to check my emails. I’m on a lot of lists, but when a big promotion is going on, everyone is promoting the same thing, so I read one or two and delete the rest.
5. I NEVER let my emails pile up. If I don’t have time to read them today, I won’t have time tomorrow either. Answer the important ones, then PRESS DELETE.
6. I have a separate email address for business and friends. This way, when I catching up with friend, I don’t feel as if I’m working.
7. I spend a certain amount of time WORKING. This means writing an article, OR running an ad OR checking the forums and leaving comments with my link, OR something that will have a direct result on my goals, which are to build my list and make money.
8. I set aside time to learn new things. I recently learned how to set up this blog, how to submit videos to youtube…whatever it is you need to learn.
9. I’ve accepted the fact that education costs money. I’m careful what I buy, but I do invest in seminars, coaching programs, good affiliate programs and ebooks of value.
10. I organize my folders and know what affiliate programs I’m promoting, what the passwords are, what my cloaked links are and I have everything handy.
I have folders set up on my hard drive, with labels such as, “ebooks to give-away”,“resell rights,” “ebooks that can’t be sold” etc. I sort each thing I buy and stick it in a folder. I also make a “To Do” folder for things I can’t get to right away. It’s important to figure out a system that works for you and refine it as you go along. It doesn’t help to buy ebooks and leave them on your hard drive unread. It also doesn’t help to buy resell rights and not be able to find them when you want them…even if you want to offer them for free as a bonus.
So what’s the biggest mistake newbies make? Wasting time and not realizing it. Time is so important and so limited. It’s so important to analyze where we’re spending our time and how we can better spend it. It’s important to set goals, set priorities and accomplish what we need to do to make money. I’ve taken plenty of time management courses and teach one now and this is the ACRONYM….GPAR
G Goal…know what your goals are.
P Plan…how will I reach that goal?
A Action …You MUST take action on your goals to succeed.
R Results…Are you getting the results you want? If not, rethink.
It seems simple and actually it is. No brain surgery here. Just discipline. Hmmm…I wonder which is really more difficult?